8.9.08

As one enters the world many others are being silenced

Once again I have passed my due date (Sept. 6) and am now heading into the 40+ stage. Oh hooray. This is one record I don't really care to keep.

Wednesday I have to see a doctor about the date to be induced.

Friday Brandon leaves for his business trip. He will come back Saturday afternoon to take the youth group aboard the Doulos.

He will then head back up to Warragol (2 1/2 -3hr drive) on Monday and stay until late Saturday. This will be the same for the week following as well. At least that is what B said we should anticipate.
Of course the baby has to come at some point in this schedule so I guess 3-4 days in there somewhere B will be home. Just when though?

All of this is on a happy note because a little voice will be coming into the world shortly.

However, on a sad note there are political actions taking place over here that could silence many more voices in the years to come if a conscience vote goes a certain way.

Today Victorian PM's will begin to debate changes to the state's abortion laws.

In short some are pushing to decriminalize abortion.

This sums up what the Abortion Law Reform Bill of 2008 says...

"A woman less than 24 weeks' pregnant who wants an abortion, the Bill says, can get one from a registered medical practitioner. In the case of a late-term abortion, two medical practitioners must "reasonably believe that the abortion is appropriate", with regard to "all relevant circumstances and the woman's current and future physical, psychological and social circumstances".


Brandon and I both strongly oppose this bill and as suggested by the pro-life organizations over here wrote to the PMs. Here is one form letter that we received twice but from two different people.

"Dear Brandon,

Thank you for your email of August 29, 2008 regarding the proposed Abortion Law Reform Bill 2008.

As you may be aware, on 29 May 2008, the Victorian Law Reform Commission’s (VLRC) report on options for reform of the law relating to abortion was tabled in the Victorian Parliament.

It is essential that the law reflects contemporary community standards and that it is simple, clear and transparent. In line with the terms of reference provided to the VLRC (available at www.lawreform.vic.gov.au the report provides the Government with three options to clarify and modernise the law.

Following consideration of the VLRC’s advice, the Government has put before the Parliament a Bill to modernise Victorian abortion law.

This will be the subject of a conscience vote for all Government Members of Parliament and one in which I will be supporting the Bill as it currently stands.

I thank you for your thoughts on this very sensitive issue.

Yours sincerely

MICHAEL CRUTCHFIELD MP
Parliamentary Secretary for the Environment and Water "

It is the third paragraph in this that I think is ridiculous. Why does a law need to "reflect contemporary community standards"? What if those standards are wrong? Just because there is a majority approving of something does not make it morally right. As I see it laws are to uphold the truth, not what is currently trendy or popular. Of course when a country does not follow Christ the truth is lost and you head in this sort of direction.

Even though we are not citizens we thought we should write due to the fact that our taxes will pay for some of these operations. It is after all "free" health care.

In closing, we got around to writing these letters a bit late. While writing them I thought "well better late than never". Afterward I was a bit ashamed at that thought. What would be the case if we had more of an attitude of "better earlier than later"? Could acting quickly on an issue such as this make a difference in the outcome? I am not sure of the answer but I think at least the attitude should be the latter no matter what.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's completely sad is that they're trying to keep up with the "joneses" here in the USA where abortion on demand is available until the kid is full term which is disgusting, sick, immoral, and reprobate. i hope we can muster some restrictions on the laws in this country; being a mom now i am so disgusted that i can't even muster up a thought about abortion right now and just get sickened thinking about it. *sigh.

yeah, that made me sick too - this comment on "culturally" or whatever with the times thing. "So the times we live in say might as well be selfish and kill the baby even though your CHOICE was to have sex..."

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on a lighter note, i am so happy that the baby's coming soon! i pray it all works out right and that B can be there (B there hehe) for you.