16.4.09

Out of duty to our Lord

Now it is time to write and respond.

As usual there were several attempts to laugh and make fun of Christianity during the Easter holidays. When will they realize how intolerant that is? When will they begin to actually practice what they preach? Oh wait. I forgot, they can't because it wouldn't mesh with their agenda.

In our Melbourne newspaper The Age, this graced it's content. Online you could find it on the home page.

The article

Ms. Deveny writes a lot, sadly most of it is fluff. I have often wondered what happened to her to bring about such anger and hate that her writings drip with.

Due to the above article, and other articles of hers, I wrote a letter to The Age. You can read it below.

To those running The Age,

I will no longer be buying your newspaper due to the offensive nature found in one of your writer's material.

Catherine Deveny is stepping over the line when it comes to her comments on Christianity. This past weekend was just one example of the trivial, juvenile attack on God.

“Good Friday was spent sitting round with lapsed Catholics drinking wine, eating meat and using the Lord’s name in vain, punctuated by the odd person saying, ‘Don’t tell my parents.’ What a thrill to stare eternal damnation in the face with a chop in one hand, a glass of cask wine in the other and a mouth full of blasphemy while still being scared of your mum and dad. All the while not believing in God. We don’t believe in heaven any more, but as sure as hell something’s making this snag taste so good. It’s probably the confidence of our contradictions.”

and more

“My mate and I debriefed about the deep-rooted brainwashing of children by religion. No child is born religious, homophobic, racist or sexist. They are programmed. Children’s brains are malleable to promote the survival of the species.”

We, as Christians, have a duty to protect our Lord's name. Which is why I have written to say she has gone too far. I wish I could say that she targets religion in general. Sadly, it seems she targets Christianity alone. How very intolerant. Are we not living in the age of tolerance? Seems only when it fits to your agenda.

Sincerely,
Megan Fisher


Like I said we have a duty to protect the Lord's name, this falls under the Third Commandment. When reading the Ten Commandments there is always something required (don't do it and you are disobeying) and something forbidden (do this and your are disobeying) for each command. With the Third Commandment the forbidden would be, for example, taking the Lord's name in vain.
The required would be (reading from Fisher's Catechism)

Q2. What is the duty directly opposite to the sin of taking God's name in vain?

A. It is the sanctifying of his name, Isa. 8:13- "Sanctify the Lord of hosts himself, and let him be your fear and your dread."

I am used to thinking "we shouldn't swear." I am not so used to thinking and acting on what is required for this commandment. I need to sharpen my conscience so that I see these opportunities more quickly.

4 comments:

Jeanne said...

Touché, Meg. I'm glad you took some action and actually wrote to them.

Good letter, Well done!!

Jeanne

Laura Lee said...

Jeanne sent me over here, and I have to second her "Well done," although our pastor made a fine point this weekend about how the absolute hostility toward to gospel is compelling evidence of its truth. If it were truly laughable, it wouldn't receive a moment's airtime.

Meg Fisher said...

Yes, I suppose that we can take some comfort in that fact. Although they will never admit to it. Pray that their hearts are softened to the Gospel, specifically Catherine Deveny's.

dad said...

That's my Meggie!