10.8.10

Convictions - sticking to them is not always easy

From the time we got married, Brandon and I decided to set Sunday aside as a special day. A day where we would go worship the Lord, spend time in fellowship with other believers, and take part in needed rest.

In the BK (before kids) era this wasn't too challenging. We understood why we were doing it and that was all there was to it.

Now in the DK (during kids) era, sticking to those convictions is a little more challenging. We have felt unsteady at times in our resolve to honor the Sabbath day in the way we feel convicted.

Our kids are now in programs. These programs have end of the year gatherings where you tend to display the knowledge, skill, and achievements you have gathered during the past 364 days.

Our girls take dance classes. In the past years the concert has been on a Saturday. This year there were no Saturdays available and so it has fallen on a Sunday.

I told the girls' teacher that we would not be attending the concert due to it being on a Sunday. She asked why and I told because we attend church on Sunday. She countered with a "you can come after church." I countered her counter offer with a "ummm, I will talk to my husband." Yes, so decisive I know. At the time I just could not coherently make the right words come out. I suppose I was also wondering if perhaps it might be alright for us to do it just this one time.

Brandon and I talked and we decided that no, we would not participate. So the next week I went back with concrete sentences weighing on my mind. After the lesson I explained again that we would not be participating. I explained that as Christians we felt convicted to keep normal activities at bay on Sunday. She then countered with "well it is only this one time." *sigh* My three kids are running around the hall, little girls are yelling, and I am trying to argue my point. Arguing, in the debating sense, is not a strong point of mine. I finally said that no, we would not make exceptions and that we had to stick to our convictions. I said hopefully the concert could be held on a Saturday next year.

There have been trying times at the following dance classes. The teacher brings in costumes for the class to try on but does not ask if my girls would like to try them on. This has reduced Jolene to tears several times. After all, who can resist a pink, sparkling, tutu that bounces and swirls when you move? My girls have also lost their placed in the dance line and have been shuffled to the back of the line. They don't care so much as they are just confused by the new places they have been assigned. Now I don't think the teacher is trying to be mean. Why should the girls try on costumes that they will not wear? It makes perfect sense to place them at the end of the line so that their absence doesn't confuse the others on the day of the concert.

I have to tell you that seeing the girls' disappointment and tears has nearly broken my resolve. I have really wrestled with placing our conviction on the girls. Especially when I am not sure they fully understand the reasons. It is tempting to say "yes, it is only this one week. Go ahead and do it"

Through all of this my thoughts have become slightly more clear. I realize now that I should have told the teacher not only do we as a family want to rest but we would like her to have a day of rest too. We don't want her to be running around like crazy all Sunday morning, afternoon, and evening. Instead we would rather her come to church.

Yes this is only one day of the year. But how many more of these events will we have in the future? As our kids grow older I think we might end up with a dozen or so of these. Meaning that we could miss around 1/5 of the worship services for that year.

It is hard making the girls do something that they may not fully understand. However, as Christian parents we need to teach them how to keep God's commandments. Through all of this I have had opportunities to explain the gospel to the girls. I explain to them that we are trying to keep the fourth commandment. Even at our best we cannot keep God's commands perfectly. This shows us we need help. We cannot save ourselves. We need a savior, Jesus Christ. I also try to explain to them how God has given us six days to do our work and that he asks us to set apart Sunday for him. We should want to spend time in his house with other believers. Instead of resisting we should be thankful for such a gift.


Psalm 122:1 - I rejoiced with those who said to me, "Let us go to the house of the Lord."

5 comments:

eleni said...

That must have been really hard for you guys..

I can see the blessing of the choice that you made though, in that you are further developing a love for the Lord and the sabbath day (for you and your family).

God bless!

Ed Blackwood said...

Encouraging thoughts about hard decisions. May God's grace abound.

Unknown said...

That was very encouraging. Thanks for sharing =)

~Benjamin

V. Louderback said...

I can remember those days about 20 years ago now, when our daughter Natalie's soft ball championships fell on the Sabbath (which they were inevitably in). Breaking the news to the coaches, as well as Natalie and discussion with Lew wasn't all that easy. By God's grace, it came with more ease as years passed on. As has the joy, peace, reassurance, and rest in Him!
Thanks for sharing Meg & may God bless you all!

Lemony Snicket said...

You have done it again, difficult though it is. You have chosen to keep your conscience clear according to your understanding of the Word of God. And you know that the principle on which you operate is consistent with the Scripture. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. (I John 5:4) Finding how the Gospel impacts each and every decision is a precious treasure.