All in all we went to the cycling five out of seven days last week. I had a blast and the kids enjoyed themselves from time to time.
Sadly the culture hubs were non-existent. I did not find any other Americans :-/ I did meet a Brazillian. He is over here for 10 months, probably for studies. His English was broken but we managed.
We were able to pick up a few souvenirs, some free some not. Cow bells and whistles were the favourites. I thought the Belgium flags were cool. We also picked up a water bottle that a Russian threw away during the U23 men's race. The water bottle almost smacked me in the head. Thankfully it didn't because it was quite full and would have left a major lump.
During the women's race the girls, Gids, and I were on Chalambra. It is a section of the longest climb on the course. We had a great view. During all the races there were four helicopters following the peleton (the mass of cyclists). It was very exciting as we would watch the helicopters getting closer and closer knowing that the riders were as well. In all the cyclists went around the course 8-11 times (depending on the race). This was nice because it gave us several opportunities to see the athletes in action.
Gid's now goes around the house saying "o ewwwssssay! oewwssay!"
Translation:(Go USA! Go USA!)
He was often yelling "Go USA! at the cars driving past more so than the cyclists. The girls would just yell "Go faster go faster!"
If you want to see some pics go here and here.
A video of the cheer squad
and here is a video of the Mens peleton
No comments:
Post a Comment